Saturday, July 23, 2005

This past week has been pretty slow and kicked back. I really got into Frank Perretti's latest book entitled Monster. I finished it in only a few days, a real page turner.

Tuesday I pretty much spent recuperating from my previous days trip to Disneyland and that night I went to hand bell practice at church. Wednesday Jennifer (who is home on vacation, she goes back to camp tomorrow) and I went out on a little shopping trip and Thursday I stayed home in front of the fan. Yes, it is hot and humid here just like most of the country. More humid than normal for So.California.

Friday I met my long time friend Jerri for lunch. We have known each other since 4th grade! We ate at Bubba Gumps down by the Long Beach Aquarium. We shared a bucket of peel and eat shrimp. Afterwards we walked around the park area for a little bit.

Today my friend and neighbor Peggy and I went to a "tea" at Locke And Noble Tea Company. Actually it is in the backyard of an historic home in Fullerton called the Noble House. Four times a year this family puts on a free tea according to the seasons. Most of the teas are held in their yard except for the Christmas tea which is held in their home. They prepare a lot of the food ahead of time. The servings are small for the most part but you do get a full pot of tea and scones and clotted cream are always served. Today we had chilled brandy apricot soup, lavender bread, white chocolate chip scone with the clotted cream and jam, chocolate propiteroles, shortbread and bananas foster. This sounds like a lot but you only get a small cup of the soup and one each of the items. But it is enough and so, so good! The only thing they ask is that you tip the young people who serve you. They also sell things from their home. They have many tea and turn of the century things for sale arranged in their living room and a couple of their bedrooms. This family would some day like to open a tea shop. Oh, and yes they sell bagged tea also.

Peggy and I have been going for a couple of years now. I originally heard about this from Rebecca who goes to my church and is a friend of Jennifers (she is also the one who got Jennifer into Civil War Reenactment). The family is just now getting around to putting out a cookbook with the recipes in a three ring binder. Then each tea you go to you can purchase the recipes for things offered at that tea to add to the binder. The cookbooks will be ready in December. Another thing they do is put on a for real high tea, full course event usually in March. That event costs money, usually $25. These events are themed. One year it was themed around Jane Austen and they had someone there who talked about Jane Ausen. Another time the theme was The Titanic and as people came in they were given the name of someone who actually sailed on The Titanic. At the end of the evening you found out if you survived or not. They served the actual tea menu of The Titanic. I have never attended one of these events due to the cost, but I sure would love to one of these times. Also people really dress up in period costumes for these high teas.

I did not take my camera with me because I took pictures last October when we went. But now I wish I had because there was a large group of women there who are connected with a Victorian fund raising group for an historic house in Santa Ana. They dress up in turn of the century costumes that they have made. Beautiful dresses, hats, the whole nine yards. I have even seen men attend these teas dressed in costume. It really is a lot of fun. So, anyway, here are some pictures from last October.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a lot of fun. Would you and your friend mind if I went with you next time? If that is not acceptible, can you please let me have the information so I can go? Thanks!