Saturday, July 30, 2005


For the past three days I have been attending something I like to call Handbell Camp. The real name, however, is Concordia Summer Ring. This is the 14th year Concordia University has put on this event. I will quote from their brochure:

"Three days of handbell events for ringers, directors and their families. A hands-on experience designed to cultivate strong ringing skills, musical understanding and leadership."

First I will explain that Concordia University is a private Lutheran college located in the hills of Irvine about 30 miles South of where I live in Lakewood. The campus is beautiful and gets a lovely breeze every day because it isn't too far from Newport Beach. Lutherans are BIG on handbells. This college has a major handbell program and some music majors devote themselves to this instrument. Then upon graduation they can go anywhere in the country and become a music director at a church which majors in handbells
.

Three people on the staff put on this event. They are Herbert Geisier, Nick Hanson and Nancy Jessup. Every year they bring in a professional from the han
dbell world to teach workshops and speak to us. This year they brought Kermit (yes, you read that correctly) Junkert from Philadelphia. He is the conductor and artistic director of the Philadelphia Handbell Ensemble. He is also the vice president, sales and marketing for Schulmerich Bells in PA. He is an author of books and videos about handbells and has served on committees. Now, all this sounds dry but he wasn't dry and boring at all. This man has a quick, wry sense of humor and his workshops were not only informative but fun as well. If the photo placement comes out correctly, this is Kermit on the left speaking to us before leading his advanced handbell group in their two numbers.






I went to this event with Dorinda, the handbell
director from our church. That is her holding some bells on the right. Last year we both went to this event for the first time along with Lisa, the handbell director for the choir from the school where I aide at. Lisa wasn't able to attend this year.














The program began Wednesday morning with registration at 8 AM in the Concordia University Center.












Here is a picture of a really nice marble statue
of Jesus as the Good Sheph
erd outside the center.















Another picture is my reflection in the window of the center (it is not a mirror, the sun was reflecting off the window just right). You can see that behind me is a lovely grassy area with trees.









Inside the center the front portion of the stage is dominated by pipes for the pipe organ. Herb Geisier did play this for us on the first day. Just beautiful.













Up on the stage were two long rows with four complete sets of handbells. The college donates their bells to this event and other people who volunteer to bring their bell sets, the foam they sit on and the coverings for over the foam. So not only were there bells in the center but in several other locations on the campus.






After check-in we were all invited on stage and got to pick out which bells we wanted to play. We then proceeded to "cold read" music. Now, for most of the people there this is not a problem. For people who are new to handbells it can be overwhelming. Last year, I was totally lost. This year I was a little better. But here is the problem for me ... I don't read music. Yes, that's correct. So you may ask, "how did you get to play handbells then?" I was told when we first started up the handbells at our church that one did not need to know how to read music. If you can count, you can play handbells. Well, to a certain extent this is true. For someone like me who is just playing in a small group, in a small church, it is fine. But if you are going to play in a large group, a more "professional" group you had better know how to read music!

While we are going through the music the different people who work there (mentioned above) go around and see what level you are (we are all wearing large name tags around our necks). Then after reading/playing music twice in the morning, after lunch you are placed in one of three groups; beginning, intermediate and ad
vanced. Last year, much to my shock and surprise, I was placed in the intermediate group and I struggled. I was tense and nervous because on the final day each group plays two numbers in front of everyone else and whoever comes in to listen. Very intimidating to me. This year I was again placed in intermediate and I was much more relaxed. I have gotten better this last year and once I study and mark my music it comes a bit easier to me.

So the event on day one consisted of a reading session (mentioned above), an overview of Bell Mastery taught by Kermit, brief technique review, another reading session and then lunch. You can purchase your meals there at the college. Dorinda and I brought our lunch each day. She wasn't able to stay late both days and so I bought dinner there. The food is very good.

After lunch we were given our group assignments and we went to our various locations to practice our two pieces. This is were those donated bells in various locations come in. The conductor for our group was Nancy. She is one tough teacher but she really brings out the best in you. She does not believe in counting out measures even from the earliest stages of practice (gulp!). After this one hour practice we went to a workshop of our choice, another practice session and then dinner. After dinner we had one more workshop we could go to. So the first day I was there from 8 AM until 7:30 PM. Take in travel time on the 405 and it was a long day.

Speaking of travel on the 405. The first day
I left at 6:50 AM and was getting off the freeway in Irvine at 7:30. Had time to stop for coffee and everything. The drive home wasn't too bad. Second morning, though ... completely different story. We did not have to be there until 8:45 so I left at 7:30. What a mess. I was driving alone so could not use the carpool lane. It was a long, slow, frustrating trip down there. I really thought I would be late but I got there at 8:45 and they started late so I was really on time. But I was frazzled from the trip. No time for coffee that morning. Trip home was again not bad because it was later in the evening so rush hour was over. Friday morning I picked up Dorinda in Westminster at 7:55 AM and we got to use the carpool lane. Made all the difference in the world. Passed all the slow traffic and got there at 8:30 with time for coffee. So much more relaxed. But the drive home. What should only take 30 minutes took two and half hours. The freeway was one big parking lot. The event ends earlier on Friday so now we are in rush hour traffic. Even the carpool lane wasn't going anywhere. I was dropping Dorinda off to meet someone and it took an hour an a half to get to that location. The original meet time was 5:30 and we got there at 6. I decided not to get back on the freeway and so took surface streets home which took an hour due to construction on said surface streets. This is why I don't like driving anymore!!!!

Thursday, Day 2 (this is getting long!) Group photo and announcements, practice group, workshop, lunch, reading session (this one was really frustrating because the music level was 4 which is difficult. My level is like 2), workshop, practice group, dinner, workshop and workshop. Very long day made even more long by that early morning drive. I was exhausted physically and mentally. There is a lot of information to be absorbed in the brain and ringing bells can be hard on the neck, shoulders and wrists. The bells I ring are medium in size and weight, so it's not too bad. Even though this event is demanding, I can say it is worth it because I come away with so much information which will hopefully make m
e a better ringer. It stretches me.

Friday, Day 3 begins with the practice choir, workshop, lunch and then more practice. This afternoon we all perform in the grand finale. I can see why I am not in the beginners choir. They are truly beginners who don't even know how to hold or ring a bell. The level of music our intermediate group played was 3 and 3+. I played in the back row and only got lost a little bit in the middle of the first piece but found where we were after a couple of measures and got back in. The woman in front of me who played the same notes was really good so I knew if I wasn't playing, those notes would still be heard. My camera has a movie record function on it and so Dorinda recorded our two numbers for me. Dorinda was in the advanced group and I only got part of one of her numbers before the memory stick wouldn't hold more.

So, there you have it. What I have been up to the last three days. Exhausting, exhilarating, frustrating, stretching, overall ... a good experience. Will I do it again next year? If I'm still playing handbells, probably yes. I have much to share with Lisa from school regarding our bells and I'm sorry she wasn't able to attend this year.

Next adventure - Paul and I are planning a trip down to San Diego on Monday and Tuesday to visit the San Diego Zoo and the Midway. Report and pictures of that trip will be next week. Also, the weather has cooled down here. It is in the mid 80's and little humidity. This, I can take :)

1 comment:

Gail Callicott said...

Quite a session! I loved the pictures, too. The ones you sent to me were great!

When you go down to San Diego, I recomend the Sea Port Village, and a ride on the Trolly system. It's phenominal! Also, check out the downtown area.

We lived in San Diego for 9 years and watched the Trolly system grow. You might also take in Old Town. It's an old San Diego type town, with many historic buildings and great Mexican food!

I don't know how long your trip will be, so don't mind me if I get a little "carried away"! You'll have a great time, no matter what!