Thursday, July 07, 2005




The saga of the strange backyard plant has come to an end. Today we cut the gourd from the vine. The picture on the left shows it after it was cut down. We then weighed it on an old scale from Paul's Mom's side of the family. It weighed in at a little over two and half pounds. Then a little while ago we cut it in half. We are in the process of cooking it. Half number one we are boiling. Saturday we will try baking the second half.

We think we may have cut it too early. It may not be totally ripe. I did a google search and we think it may be an Autumn Butter Cup, but that is a big maybe. We are going to save the seeds and try this again next summer and see what happens. I'll let you know how it tastes.

Tomorrow I am planning to go to the opening day of the Orange County Fair in Costa Mesa. Between the hours of 10 and 11 parking and admission is free. We shall see how many other people have the same idea! The weather has still not gotten really hot so now would be a good time to go. Depending on when I get home I will either post tomorrow night or sometime Saturday. I am planning on taking my camera and will try to get interesting shots. And for you Rebecca, I will see if I can get some reflections!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish you happy eating! Interesting that it was a volunteer. My mom has a volunteer tomato plant; some of the seeds from her plants last year must have germinated.

I'll be interested in seeing your photos of the fair.

Anonymous said...

Wish I could do a link like my very intelligent daughter!

Anonymous said...

I always feel a certain sense of triumph when I am mentioned in someone else's blog. *grin* Thanks for thinking of me. I look forward to seeing your photographs.