Thursday, June 30, 2005

Today I went to a class I had signed up for. I have joined a "mature adults" group called OASIS. This is for people age 50 and older. My friend Carol, who retired from teaching last year, told me about it. They have classes that they offer during "semesters" and they send out a catalog letting you know what is available. So I signed up for a class about Shakers. The first hour we saw on a large screen TV a DVD of a documentry done by Ken Burns for PBS called "Shakers. Hands to Work, Hearts to God". I had seen this a few years ago when it was broadcast on PBS and it is very interesting. But the real reason I went is that for the second hour we listened to a group called Willow Bend play Shaker Music. This group consists of three men and one woman who go to various places and put on programs. Some of the instruments they played today were, hammered dulcimer, cello, washtub bass, recorder, guitar, bodhran (Irish drum), and a mandolin. They were very good and played and talked for close to an hour. I am linking you to both OASIS and Willow Bend. The Willow Bend site is not "up" at this time. She is looking for a new host and it should be back up in about a week.

http://www.celticana.net

http://www.oasisnet.org/lakewood/

All in all it was a very interesting afternoon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When does OASIS meet? Time/place, etc.

Do they mainly have informational meetings like the one you went on? Do they ever have outtings?