Sunday, June 26, 2005











I have finally gotten a chance to sit down and post about my day yesterday. Above are two pictures of the Disney Cruise Lines ship The Disney Magic. It is here for the summer in connection with Disneylands 50th birthday. It leaves at 5 PM on a Saturday, cruises South to the Mexican Riviera and then comes back to port the following Saturday at 6 AM. The photo above on the left is the ship docked at its terminal. The photo on the right is the stern showing Goofy hanging over like he's trying to finish the painting. I think it is so cute.

Anyway, my brother Bruce came over yesterday and we spent the day visiting and then driving to San Pedro so we could view the ship. I had understood the ship would depart at 4 PM so we had a longer wait than planned. I wasn't sure about parking so we drove along Harbor Blvd. and parked in a two hour parking zone and walked back to the terminal area. We had no problem seeing where the ship was. There is a lovely walkway and places to sit where one can look at ships and watch everything. Originally we had planned to look at the ship and then drive down towards Port 'O Call to park and walk out to an area where we could see the ship sail passed. We changed our minds when we found out we could see the ship maneuver its way out from where we were.

We walked over to the entryway to the terminal itself but we were not allowed in that area because we were not passengers. We did have a nice conversation with the guard and that is when we found out its departure time. In the meantime I found there was parking in the area where we were sitting and the first hour is free. So I timed it and went back and got the car and brought it into the parking lot.

Right around 5 PM you could hear them on the ship counting down to the blowing of the horn. Now the horn on the Disney Cruise ships is cool. It plays the beginning notes of "When You Wish Upon A Star". Frankly, that is one of the main reasons we went down to see it ... so we could hear that horn. I also captured it on my video camera which also records movies. I also recorded the ship pivoting out and around and into the channel when it left.

Overall it was a very cool experience. We left and came home and went to dinner at Home Town buffet before I took Bruce back to the Metro Rail Blue Line Station. He no longer drives and takes public transportation everywhere. Whenever I want to go into Los Angeles, or Hollywood, or Universal City Walk I also take the Metro Rail. But that is a story for some other time.

My hair drove me crazy this weekend. We went to a graduation Friday night and it looked great when we started out but about two hours later it went limp. The hair was all over the place everywhere I went, especially at the harbor where it is windy. I plan to call the salon tomorrow and make the big appointment for Tuesday or Wednesday.

Tomorrow I am thinking about going and volunteering at the thrift store Jennifer and I used to volunteer at back when she was in High School and needed service hours.

I have a lot I want to do this summer. I have a big sewing project planned and I want to teach myself PhotoShop 7 using the book I purchased. I am also reading book 3 of the Abram's Daughters series of the Amish Books Beverly Lewis writes. When I finish that I have book 4 from the library. I understand book 5 (the last in the series) just came out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"When you wish upon a star" was my first solo (other than the Christmas musical one at Grace Bible Chapel). I like that song.

Anonymous said...

I never knew about the Disney ship. Fascinating! It is only available during the 50-year celebration period?