Friday, September 09, 2005

TGIF

Here it is the second full day of school and already the week is over and it's Friday. How time flies.

Today I took pictures of each child in the class and then here at home I put them on the computer and transferred them to a CD. I will give the CD to Catherine on Monday and then her husband will print the pictures out. Toward the end of the year we will take the same pose and use the bear as a growth chart. Below is a picture of me by the bear. I cover part of the letters and part of the bear. The children, of course, do not. I hope I do not see any "growth". LOL


Some of the kids in the class are sharp. One boy knew that animals who sleep at night are nocturnal. I was impressed. Most First Graders don't know things like that. The one learning challenged child, I will call him S, is doing well. He is really pretty intelligent. He just has trouble controlling himself and I think he acts up with mom because he knows he can get away with it. He can not get away with it with Catherine. The other boy, whom I will call G, is getting worse. Found out today he was not tested for ADHD over the summer because his doctor thinks he is too young. There is something seriously wrong with him. Catherine will be having a conference with mom and dad soon. The other two boys who are challenging authority had to write sentences about their behavior and have their parents sign the paper. First full day of school and they were pushing the limits. But Catherine is nipping this in the bud, so to speak. Today they were both much better. I don't think the parents were thrilled at this turn of events and they probably got a good talking to at home.

Every Friday is Snack Day and staff brings in something. It is all planned out in advance as to when we bring in snacks. Today Cindy brought in everybody's favorite ... a brick of cream cheese with salsa poured over it and chips. Vicky brought in homemade lemon bread and banana nut bread. If I'm not careful, I will be covering up that bear in no time!

2 comments:

Gail Callicott said...

Why, Miss Irene! I didn't know you were a first grade teacher!

I taught first grade in San Diego! J.D.'s first grade teacher, Mrs. Hofmockel, needed "classroom parent volunteers" and I decided I would help out! We only lived two blocks from the school, so it was easy to get to.
I ended up staying for three years! I think that the other teachers that J.D. had thought that I "came with him" as I had stayed with Mrs. Hofmockel for the whole year. But, being the "kind" mother that I am, I wanted him to "go on" to his next grade on his own.
I taught fine arts and handwriting. I also read and had special things for the Holidays!
Too cool, my dear! What a pleasure it is to watch these little guys (and girls, LOL) grow into great kids!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good year! Challenging, but good. I hope you are able to enjoy each and every child!