Friday, August 19, 2005


Well, I did Disneyland yesterday from opening to closing, 8 to Midnight. Not as tired as I thought I'd be because I sat in theaters throughout the day to rest my feet.

I had wanted to leave at 7 but didn't get away until 7:20. On Wednesday nights we park our cars around back in the parking lot behind our house because of street sweeping in the early morning hours. Turns out someone tried to syphon off the gas from our Olds. It does not have a locking gas cap whereas the Toyota does. Paul is going to see if he can find one for the Olds. With gas prices the way they are now I guess people are desperate. Anyway I noticed a gas cap on the ground by the car, a short red hose and when I carefully opened the cover to the gas tank (I wanted to preserve possible fingerprints) the gas cap was off so it was our gas cap on the ground. Also there was moisture (gasoline) on the ground around that area. They didn't get much and we surmise that whoever it was got scared off and dropped everything. So all of this, and getting Paul to come out, and checking to make sure we hadn't lost all of our gas delayed my start time. Jennifer needed to go to Kaiser to get her TB skin test read so she and Paul needed a working car so I couldn't leave until we determined that. So I hear from Jennifer that Paul called the police and they came out and looked and took a report and statement. They did not take fingerprints and it is considered petty theft. So now that we are getting up before 7 AM on Thursday we will just move the cars in the morning and as I said Paul will try and get a locking gas cap for the Olds.

So I made fairly decent time over to the park. The traffic was only heavy in a couple of brief areas. Much to my surprise in entering the parking structure they did not have us park in the structure. Instead we were routed outside and I ended up in the outdoor side parking area clear at the back. So I had to walk all the way to the front to get to the tram.

So got to the entrance and breezed through security as I do not carry a bag. I had my money and driver's license in my money belt which I wear under my clothing. I did have my jacket as the morning was cool and we had the overcast clouds until around 10:30. Later I got a locker and put my jacket and car keys in it. I also got my cup of coffee at the Markethouse corner place which meant I could get more coffee for free during the day. I did get another cup in the evening. So I was in line to get in at 8 and they had just opened.

I first headed to Fantasyland to ride Peter Pan. That line is always so long so I thought I'd get it out of the way. The line was already long but not clear out in the walkway area. After that I thought I'd do all the Fantasyland rides because that is something I hardly ever do so after Peter Pan I rode the carousel (I could of gotten the gold horse but it was stopped too high up, I couldn't even get my foot up that high into the stirrup), then Snow White, Pinnoccio, Dumbo (I did get gold Dumbo), Casey Jr., Mr. Toad, and Teacups (I didn't spin). I decided to skip Storybook as I'd seen the things from Casey Jr., and that line is always long. I also wanted to do Alice but by now that line was long. I noticed the line for the Matterhorn was short so I did that. Because I was a single rider I got pulled out of line and put on quickly. I skipped Toon Town and Small World this time around.

So after leaving the Matterhorn I headed to Tomorrowland to get a Fast Pass for Space Mtn. I could smell the good food at the food court there and thought about breakfast (even tho I'd had cereal here at home) but the lines were long and I convinced myself I didn't need it. The line was long for Space Mtn. so got the FastPass. Now it's around 10:15 and the return time was 12:35 to 1:35. So I went to Main Street and got the locker and coffee and headed over to Splash Mtn. I stopped and got a Churro near Haunted Mansion and sat near the train and ate that and drank my coffee. Then I headed to Splash Mtn. I asked the Fast Pass guy if that ride still had a single rider line, yes through the exit. So I did that. I was the only one doing it and I had to wait maybe two minutes. People in one group did not want to sit in the front of the log so the line guy told me, "you're in number 1". I know now why people don't want to sit there. I got soaked but it was so much fun. The water comes right into the boat and you end up sitting in the water! So after getting off and clearing my glasses I decided to go on Winnie The Pooh just to see what all the talk is about. The first part is blustery day and it felt good and helped dry me. The ride is cute but it still disgusts me they took out Country Bears. Left there and slowly walked in the sun toward Hungry Bear and noticed the line for the canoes. They had three canoes lined up and ready to go so I did that. I ended up in the third one and we had to wait for the Columbia as they were bringing it out and around for the day. So paddling in the sun again helped me dry off. It was only my bottom that was still wet but it slowly dried during the morning. After that I went on Haunted Mansion. The line was somewhat long but it just kept moving. I have discovered that if there are two lines, for some reason the right line moves faster. I was in the right line and moved right on past the people on the left and into the mansion. Down below the line was backed up into the hallway and did not move. I think the ride was stopped for awhile but once it got running again we moved along pretty well.

After Mansion I had planned to go on Pirates Of The Caraibean but now the line was long and slow so I skipped it and went to Indie Jones. They did not have the Fast Pass on for this one (and I wouldn't have been able to use it anyway). The wait was listed at 30 minutes and that was pretty much right on. At the point where you go up the stairs I choose the right side and it moved faster. The vehicle was the normal bumpy moving around setting. After that I went on Jungle Cruise and the skipper was OK. By now it was 12:45 so I made my way over to Space Mountain and decided to get a Fast Pass for the new Buzz ride. The wait time on Space Mtn. was now 80 minutes but with Fast Pass it was only like 10 minutes. I love that ride! After getting off it was still not time for Buzz so I went into Honey I Shrunk The Kids. It was nice to just sit for awhile and take my shoes off. The only bad part was my seat area didn't work. I didn't feel the mice, I didn't have air in my face and I didn't get water on me when the dog sneezed. After that it was time for Buzz. That was OK. I got level 3 out of 7. It took me awhile to figure out the ray gun and where my red light was shining. My picture did not come out so I was not able to send it via email to myself. From Buzz I went over to Star Tours because the line was short. I was directed to the left line and sure enough the right line was constantly moving and was much faster than the left line.

Now it is after 2 so I headed over to DCA where I went to Soarin and used the single rider pass. This time I did not have to wait too long and there was only 2 other people ahead of me. Unfortunately I was in the last row but I still like being in there. From there I went to TOT and there was a long line. So I looked over at the return time for Fast Pass and it was 30 minutes so I got one and went over to Turtle Talk. That is so amazing. Someone had a birthday so he led us in singing Happy Birthday turtle style. When that ended I made my way back to Tower Of Terror and got right in. In talking to a woman while waiting to get on she said she had never been before to which I smiled and said this is really scary. Getting off at the end she looked and me and said "you were right!" So now it is almost 4:15 so I ran over to get into Aladdin. I was in the Mezzanine second row on the right end. Took off my shoes and enjoyed the show. The "good" genie was on. The carpet was flying and comes real close to that corner area where I was. On my way out of DCA they were just starting the Block Party Parade so I hung around to watch. Gosh, those dancer kids really work out. They were just drenched by the time they finished. They have a character for Boo from Monsters, Inc. that is just adorable. You can see Boo's face in her little monster costume. Everyone oohs and ahs over her when she comes by.

Now it is after 5 and I'm really hungry. My plan had been to eat mid day but that didn't work out. So I left DCA and hiked over to McD's. Now this was the only real bad experience of the day. Here is a McD's at dinner hour and right across the street from Disneyland and they only had two girls handling the front. And not only did they have to take orders, get money, etc., but they also had to get the food. The guy in front in my line had a huge order and it was all "special" ... no mayo on this, no mustard on that, etc. And the order was wrong so she kept having to go back and get things. I thought she was going to break into tears at some point! It took me 15 minutes before I got waited on and then I had to wait for my food. I was really disappointed, not in the food but the service.

So now it is around 6:30 and I head back to Disneyland, use the rest room and go get my jacket and keys from the locker. I got a "free" cup of coffee because my plan is to find a seat and wait it out for the fireworks. I have been on all the rides I want to go on so I am willing to sit for over two hours. Well, at 6:45 all the benches are taken, and most of the curb. People have laid out blankets and towels for their friends and family. I found one small spot on the curb right directly in front of the castle and I folded my jacket and sat on it. The family next to me got take out dinners from that mexican restaurant that looked really good. I talked to them for awhile. Around 8 there was no one behind me so I took my jacket, made a pillow and laid down for awhile. It was a long wait but worth it. I had the best seat and everyone sat down so no one was in my way!

After that I followed the herd (moo) over to where Fantasmic is. I got the good spot down from where the tech crew is and no one stood up to film in that sit down area so I had front and center there also. Talked to the couple next to me and they are my age, maybe a little younger. They are from Iowa and they came out to spend a few days at the resort and then Saturday they are leaving on the Disney Magic as it takes its cruise back to Florida. 14 days. They were on a waiting list and a cabin came up so they took it. Then when they get to Florida they are going to rent a car and drive to Disneyworld and spend a few days there! Must be nice!!!! We had a good time talking and passing the time.

I waited for the crowd to thin out and noticed people were just walking on POTC so I did that. Sat in the middle of the front row all by myself. Then Indie said 30 minute wait but it was maybe 10 minutes at the most. This time the car was really racheted up. It was really cool. Then I went on Jungle Cruise at night. Let me tell you, at that time of night those skippers are really loony. I had one of the best guys in a long time. He was older and he went way off script. He was really funny. Then I left the park. It was now a loooong walk back to the car and my car was the only one left in that area. The drive home was a breeze. Only 15 minutes from the parking lot to the Lakewood off ramp.

All in all a really good day. Got to do everything I wanted plus some things I hadn't planned. The weather was perfect and the crowds weren't all that bad. If you know how to work the system, ie Fastpass and Single rider, you can do lots of things.

I did not take my camera with me as in June Jennifer took lots of pictures. Maybe later I will find one from that trip to plug in at the top.

Jennifer is home from camp and school has started but that is a whole different post. Maybe some other time. I have a feeling my posts are going to get fewer and farther between.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Forgive me for not reading all of your blog tonight. I am really tired! But that is awful about somebody trying to cypher your gas out of your car! I guess these prices are really hard on those who have little money (like we have a lot of money--right???!!!)

See you tomorrow. Love, jan

Anonymous said...

Wow! You sure crammed a lot of rides into a day. I think I would have given up mid-day.

You used some initials in your blog that I am not familiar with. POTsomethingorother and TOT. There were some others but I can't remember them now. And I can't go back and look at your text without finishing up here.

Too bad our building won't be ready for occupancy for the 30th celebration. But such is life.

Love you! Have a good week!