Friday, December 23, 2005

AND STILL MORE CHRISTMAS PARTIES

The last two Christmas parties. I never thought I'd say I've had enough sweets and cakes ... but I have! Too much sugar is too much sugar!

So here are some pictures of the class party on the last day of school Wednesday, Dec. 21.

First of all, the above picture shows why I have trouble losing weight. This is a very common sight in the teacher's lounge. Food, food and more food all the time. I gathered what was there on Wednesday morning for this picture. On the left are several different kinds of pieces of cheesecake all placed on one plate. The thing on the far right was a huge chocolate chip, frosted cookie that a parent gave to the school. When I first saw it I thought that no one would eat it what with all the food available, the parties coming up and our staff luncheon after school ... but I was wrong. When I came back to take this picture 2/3rds of it had been consumed.

Yes, that's me on the right. Every year on the last day of school I wear my antlers with a Santa hat in the middle. A couple of years ago I tied two little Christmas ball ornaments on the antlers which swing around when I walk. The kids get a big kick out of it. I am also wearing my Disneyland Christmas shirt with Goofy dressed as Santa Claus. Plus I'm wearing several pins. Do I get into the Christmas spirit? You be the judge. The woman on the left came in to play the piano so the kids could sing Christmas carols (words NOT changed to be politically correct, thank you very much) and the woman next to me is the head room mom for my class and she read a story to the students and led the singing.

These treats for the class are little angels made out of white oreo cookies and lifesavers. The cookies are cut to form the bodies and the wings (how this is done so the cookie doesn't crack all to pieces, I don't know). Two lifesavers are "glued" together with frosting for the head and a yellow lifesaver is put on at an angle using frosting to look like a slipped halo. Then white frosting is piped on to the bodies. Very cute and a lot of work.

And more food! Each student, the teacher and myself were given a plate like this. Carrots with ranch dressing for dip, one of the angels, little smokies and a cheese open faced sandwich cut into a star. The kids (and me too) went nuts for the little smokies. Surprised the mom who heated them up and brought them as they were all gone by the time the party ended. Usually kids in First Grade don't like that kind of thing. But not this group.

Now it's time to move on to our annual staff Christmas luncheon held for the third year in a row at the Shenandoah at the Arbor restaurant.


The gentleman in the red sweater waving at you is our principal, Pat. We had five long put together tables in the outdoor seating area.

Sitting to my left sort of across from me is my teacher Catherine on the left and the other First Grade teacher Diana on the right. You can see heat pole lamps in the background. These are for when the weather turns cool, which it certainly wasn't yesterday nor will to be for some days. Tomorrow, Saturday, the forecast is calling for 84.

Here are some more of our happy staff getting reading to eat and looking forward to our ornament gift exchange.

And these are the gifts. We each purchase a $5 ornament and wrap it. Then we pick numbers and go and pick out a gift. Person #2 on can steal. In other words they can steal someone's ornament or pick a fresh one. If they steal, then the person who had their gift stolen from them has to pick a new one or steal from someone else and on it goes. At the very end person #1 can steal or keep what they have and the "game" is over. Also a gift can only be stolen three times. On the third time, that person who has it gets to keep it. It can no longer be stolen. I ended up with a gift which I stole and it was the third time so I got to keep it. It's a very pretty painted from the inside ornament with snowmen on it. Have I mentioned I have a snowman collection?


Of course, I must end with the food. I had the hand carved roasted turkey sandwich with fresh fruit. The other choice (sorry, no photo) was grandma's southern fried chicken with mashed potatoes. Everyone got the cheesecake for dessert. It was very light with a small side of whipped cream.

So endth the parties. Now for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Tomorrow my brother is coming and will stay the weekend. Tomorrow evening our church will have a candle light Christmas Eve service. The handbell choir, of which I am a member, will be playing at this.

I will try to remember to take pictures this weekend. Sorry, I forgot to take pictures of the plates of goodies I made for the neighbors.

No comments: